So it seems like every position has some exciting UDFA looking to make the team, some spots have 3-4, if we kept them all we'd have at least 60 players. I'm just trying to get a handle on how many of these guys can be kept team-wide and what keeping a Baldwin would mean for a guy like Byrd.
I'm going to start with the preliminary depth chart because the PUPs are already removed, if there is a better list to go off of let me know, I couldn't find the breakown article with "locks" and "long shot" that I was looking for. I've bolded the guys who seem to be safe on the roster.
• QB: Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Josh Portis
• FB: Michael Robinson, Ryan Travis, Dorson Boyce
• RB: Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett, Leon Washington, Chase Reynolds, Thomas Clayton
• LT: Russell Okung, Tyler Polumbus, Will Robinson
• LG: Robert Gallery, Paul McQuistan, Lemuel Jeanpierre
• C: Max Unger, Mike Gibson, Brent Osborne
• RG: John Moffitt, Paul Fanaika, Zach Hurd
• RT: James Carpenter, Breno Giacomini, Caz Piurowski
• TE: Zach Miller, John Carlson, Anthony McCoy, Dominique Byrd
• WR: Mike Williams, Ben Obomanu, Kris Durham, Isaiah Stanback, Chris Carter
• WR: Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette, Pat Williams
I have 20 guys with secure spots or at least reasonably secure, we'll have to keep at least 2 more linemen and probably 2 more TE whoever they end up being, so that's 24 on offense.
• LDE: Chris Clemons, Raheem Brock, Dexter Davis, A.J. Schable, Jameson Konz
• LDT: Alan Branch, Kentwan Balmer, Ryan Sims
• RDT: Brandon Mebane, Junior Siavii, Jay Alford, Pep Levingston
• RDE: Red Bryant, Jimmy Wilkerson, Pierre Allen
• OLB: Leroy Hill, Malcolm Smith, Neal Howey
• MLB: David Hawthorne, K.J. Wright, Michael Johnson
• OLB: Aaron Curry, Matt McCoy, Mike Morgan
• LCB: Marcus Trufant, Richard Sherman, Kennard Cox, Jesse Hoffman
• RCB: Walter Thurmond, Brandon Browner, Kelly Jennings, Byron Maxwell, Ron Parker, Marcus Brown
• SS: Kam Chancellor, Josh Pinkard, Jeron Johnson
• FS: Earl Thomas, Mark LeGree, Rickey Thenarse, Brett Johnson
21 there, but there should be at least 2 more CBs (probably Sherman and, ugh, Jennings), so there's 23.
Add in the Offense and 3 specialists, and we've got 50.
3 spots for upside flyers and ST warriors.
...are all fighting for 3 spots with a whole bunch of other guys with even longer odds. Which 3 do we protect from the practice squad? Who would stay on the PS? Who would get scooped up by other teams? Am I missing something obvious or leaving someone out? What happens when/if Butler, Morrah, Cole, and Lewis come off of PUP?
Myself, I have a hard time believing that Baldwin and Portis wouldn't get scooped off the PS with what they've shown so far.