THERE was a brief discussion of the correct betting line for this week's game, and it got me to thinking-- I am running a 'shadow betting' contest with my friends this year, so why not run one on the board too? I call it 'shadow betting' because the units aren't worth anything, but at some point in a few years when I have discretionary income I want to bet for real, so I consider myself 'in training'. And it's fun, trying to guess what the upcoming spreads should be, and then taking a position. Just another way for 'hawk fans to express their love for the game over what is likely to be another up and down year.
We'll always have Wedgewood.
1. Every player starts the year with 50 units.
2. You may wager up to five (5) units per game, and in as many games as you like per week. Bets as small as one-half unit (1/2) will be booked. No vig will be charged, but keep in mind, you need to win 52.5% of your bets over time to break even.
3. Once you go broke, that's it.
4. Post the games you are taking a position on, and for how many units. Sometimes the spread moves. If the spread has moved and is other than I have posted, please note in your bet the current line you are getting.
5. I will keep a running tally on the leaderboard and laud much praise to the winner.
Week 1 Betting Lines:
|Date & Time||Favorite||Line||Underdog||Total|
|9/8 8:30 ET||At Green Bay||-4||New Orleans||47.5|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Baltimore||-2.5||Pittsburgh||36.5|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Tampa Bay||-1.5||Detroit||41|
|9/11 1:00 ET||Atlanta||-3||At Chicago||41|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Kansas City||-5.5||Buffalo||39.5|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Houston||-8.5||Indianapolis||43|
|9/11 1:00 ET||Philadelphia||-5||At St. Louis||44|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Cleveland||-6.5||Cincinnati||35.5|
|9/11 1:00 ET||At Jacksonville||-3||Tennessee||38.5|
|9/11 4:15 ET||NY Giants||-3||At Washington||37.5|
|9/11 4:15 ET||At Arizona||-7||Carolina||37|
|9/11 4:15 ET||At San Francisco||-5||Seattle||38|
|9/11 4:15 ET||At San Diego||-8.5||Minnesota||41.5|
|9/11 8:25 ET||At NY Jets||-4.5||Dallas||40.5|
Monday Night Football Line
|9/12 7:00 ET||New England||-7||At Miami||45.5|
|9/12 10:15 ET||At Denver||-3||Oakland||40|
My picks: I absolutely love Pittsburgh this week, so I'm taking them and the points for three units, which is a big bet for me. I like the Rams with the points at home for two units, and I like Buffalo and Seattle to beat the spread, as well as Houston to cover, for one unit each. So, that's eight units in action! I know, kids, watch out.