With NFL Free Agency set to kick off today at 1pm PST, I thought I'd throw up a thread this morning where we can discuss all the news and rumors as to what's going on.
Per Jason La Canfora, the Seahawks have interest in Desmond Bryant, but will be getting some competition for his services in the form of the Raiders, Patriots, Eagles and Browns. La Canfora also notes that Jason Jones "has become very hot" and Miami, Dallas, the Giants and Chiefs are interested. Finally, per La Canfora, "John Abraham visited the Seahawks and 49ers, but could take time for things to fully develop for him, given his age and the numbers of players at a similar stage of their careers, like Richard Seymour, Osi Umenyiora and Dwight Freeney."
As for newest Seahawk Percy Harvin, La Canfora writes that his sources say the explosive WR will be getting north of $12M per year. Challenging this somewhat is Mike Florio over at PFT, who says that "Despite a report that Harvin wants to be paid in the range of Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, both of those players are in the range of $16 million. Per the source, Harvin's deal won't be close. In reality, Harvin's deal will be more in line with the current one-up high-jump that began last year with Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson with five years, $55.5 million, and which was extended by Chiefs wideout Dwayne Bowe and his five-year, $56 million deal."
This would indicate the per-year average is somewhere around $11M or $11.5M. Naturally, the only thing that really matters is the amount of guaranteed money, so that's why I've been holding off on posting too much about the rumored contract numbers.
- Antoine Winfield, slot cornerback for the Vikings, has been released. You have to assume the Seahawks will get involved in this one.
- Nnamdi Asomugha has been released by the Eagles.
- The Rams have re-signed DL Williams Hayes.
- Danelle Ellerbe to Miami
- Mike Wallace to Miami
- King Dunlap to the Chargers
- Chase Daniel to the Chiefs
- Delanie Walker, Andy Levitre to Titans
- Gosder Cherilus, Erik Walden to Colts
- Louis Vasquez to Broncos
- Paul Kruger to Browns
- Bills release Ryan Fitzpatrick
- DeAngelo Hall to the Lions
- Martellus Bennett, Jermon Bushrod to the Bears
- Will Herring has been released by the Saints
- Steelers re-sign Larry Foote
- Vikings signed Phil Loadholdt