Planning on watching the Seahawks play the Panthers on Sunday? Here's what you need to know.
10:00 a.m. PST, September 8th, 2013
Q13 FOX (channel 13 in Seattle)
Chris Myers (play‐by‐play)
Tim Ryan (commentary)
Jennifer Hale (sidelines)
710 ESPN Radio & 97.3 FM
Steve Raible (play‐by‐play)
Warren Moon (commentary)
Jen Mueller (sidelines)
Field Gulls will have a live open thread going during the game so get online and talk to other fans.
From the Gamebook:
Individual Preseason Notes
* WR Jermaine Kearse tied for first in the NFC (T2nd NFL) in non‐kicker scoring with 18 points (2 rec. touchdowns, 1 return)
* RB Christine Michael ranked third in the NFC (4th NFL) with 201 rushing yards in three games played
* RB Christine Michael ranked second in the NFL with 248 total yards from scrimmage (201 rush, 47 rec. yards)
* QB Tarvaris Jackson led the NFL with a 131.4 passer rating (26 of 36, 357 yards, three touchdowns, zero interceptions)
* QB Tarvaris Jackson led the NFC (3rd NFL) with a 149.3 fourth‐quarter passer rating (8 of 9, 93 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions)
* WR Stephen Williams led the NFL with 236 receiving yards and a 33.7 average, and ranked fourth in the NFC (5th NFL) with 236 yards from scrimmage
* K Steven Hauschka ranked tied for first in the NFC (T3rd NFL) with 12 touchbacks on kickoffs
* P Jon Ryan ranked second in the NFC (6th NFL) with a 49.8 punting average
* CB/PR Walter Thurmond ranked fifth in the NFC (10th NFL) with a 20.0 punt return average
* WR/PR Golden Tate ranked sixth in the NFC with a 13.0 punt return average
* DE Benson Mayowa ranked tied for third in the NFC (T4th NFL) with 3.5 sacks
Team Preseason Notes
* Offense ranked ninth in the NFL (351.3), tied for 11th in rushing (119.3) and seventh in passing (232.0)
* Defense ranked third in the NFL (239.3), seventh against the rush (87.8) and fourth against the pass (151.5)
* Seattle led the NFL with only two turnovers this preseason and forced 10 turnovers (5th NFL) to rank tied for first in the NFL with a +8 turnover ratio
* Ranked second in the NFL scoring 27.5 points per game
* Offense ranked second in the NFL in yards per play (5.9)
* Ranked tied for fifth in the NFC (T6th NFL) in redzone offense, scoring a touchdown on six of 10 possessions (60.0%)
* Defense led the NFL allowing only 9.0 points per game
* Ranked tied for third in the NFL in redzone defense, allowing a touchdown on only three of 10 possessions (30.0%)
* Seattle leads the league in points differential (74), outscoring opponents 110‐36
* Defense ranked third in the NFL allowing 4.1 yards per play
* Led the NFL allowing opponents only 3.29 yards per play on first down
* Led the NFL with a 47.0 kickoff return average
* Ranked fourth in the NFL in average drive start/kickoffs, starting drives at its own 27.4 yard line
Making History... Kind of
The Seahawks recorded two of the longest plays in NFL history vs. the Denver Broncos (8/17) with two touchdown returns over 100‐yards.
One problem, the NFL does not keep records for preseason play.
Cornerback Brandon Browner's 106‐yard fumble return would have eclipsed Jack Tatum's (9/24/72) and Aeneas Williams' (11/5/00) 104‐yard fumble return records.
Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse brought back a kickoff 107 yards for a score, one‐yard shy of the longest kickoff return in NFL history. He would have ranked tied for fourth all‐time with his 107‐yard touchdown.
With those two scores, it would most likely have been the first time in NFL history with two touchdown returns of over 100‐ yards in the same game by the same team.