Seattle has announced its 53-man roster. That roster does not include Marcus Trufant, who will start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list. That's bad news, but hopefully the right decision. Seattle rushed Deion Branch last season and effectively lost his roster spot.
The roster reflects a major youth movement with some fringe guys unseating former regulars. Could this be reflective of changing opinions on replacement value? A movement towards freeing cap space next year?
|Matt Hasselbeck||Seneca Wallace||Julius Jones||Edgerrin James||Justin Griffith|
|Mike Teel||Justin Forsett||Owen Schmitt|
|Sean Locklear||Walter Jones||Deion Branch||Nate Burleson||John Carlson|
|Max Unger||Rob Sims||T.J. Houshmandzadeh||Deon Butler||John Owens|
|Steve Vallos||Chris Spencer||Ben Obomanu||Cameron Morrah|
|Ray Willis||Mansfield Wrotto|
|Patrick Kerney||Cory Redding||Brandon Mebane||Colin Cole||Ken Lucas|
|Darryl Tapp||Lawrence Jackson||Red Bryant||Craig Terrill||Josh Wilson|
|Nick Reed||Derek Walker||Michael Bennett||Kelly Jennings|
Travis Fisher (!)
|Lofa Tatupu||Aaron Curry||Deon Grant||Jordan Babineaux||Olindo Mare|
|Leroy Hill||Lance Laury||
||C.J. Walllace||Jon Ryan|
|Will Herring||David Hawthorne||Kevin Houser|
CUTS: S Jamar Adams, DE Baraka Atkins, K Brandon Coutu, G Brian De La Puente, CB Marquis Floyd, T Na'Shan Goddard, S Courtney Greene, WR Mike Hass, CB Kevin Hobbs, FB David Kirtman, RB Devin Moore, CB Nate Ness, TE Joe Newton, WR Logan Payne, LB Dave Philistin, T Andre Ramsey, T William Robinson, QB Jeff Rowe, WR Courtney Taylor.
10 Quick Opinions:
- Walter Jones is on the roster: This speaks for itself. Get well Franchise.
- Seattle is super thin at Corner and Safety: This could foreshadow further moves.
- Courtney Taylor Cut: It came down to the fourth preseason game and Ben Obomanu put the decision to rest.
- Seattle deep at linebacker but no D.D. Lewis: I've never been a huge fan of Lewis. He is credited for being able to play any linebacker position, but he doesn't seem to play any of them well.
- Special Teams: The lack of depth at wide receiver and safety means Seattle could struggle on cover units.
- No Jordan Kent: Kent wasn't placed on IR. He was waived with a settlement. I think that ends his playing career. Other teams might ask, but will Kent answer?
- Cameron Morrah: I didn't see much from Morrah, so Seattle must be convinced he is too good to cut. Interesting talent Seattle will let mature, but if a starting tight end goes down, I don't think Morrah is ready to contribute.
- Derek Walker: Great size and showed up in the preseason. Walker could be the dark horse replacement for Cory Redding. Get your head up, today you are an NFL player.
- Lots of depth on Offensive Line: With this many question marks and injuries, can you blame the Seahawks?
- This is not over: One deadline met, but days to complete this roster. I doubt it will like it does today next Sunday.