Tyson Alualu suffered the Utes relentless, Urban Meyer designed offense. His own afforded him no breathers. He wasn't just lagging after hurry-up sequences, he was wearing down entirely. Utah crammed 41 plays into the first half and shrugged off a 14 point deficit to pull ahead 24-14. California looked overmatched. Alu looked half the player he was in the first quarter.
1. 1st and 10 at UTAH 44 Jordan Wynn pass incomplete.
LDE, slow off the snap, forces the tackle back but creates little separation. Alualu ends the play by ineffectually pursuing Wynn into the right flat. Wynn likes to break the pocket and run around if he doesn't immediately read an open receiver.
2. 2nd and 10 at UTAH 44 Jordan Wynn pass complete to David Reed for 17 yards to the Cal 39 for a 1ST down.
RDE, decent jump, makes an outside move but doesn't factor in a quick pass to the left flat.
3. 1st and 10 at CAL 39 Jordan Wynn pass complete to Jereme Brooks for 7 yards to the Cal 32.
LDE, again only decent off the snap, attempts a bull rush but again does not factor against a quick pass.
4. 2nd and 3 at CAL 32 Eddie Wide rush for 4 yards to the Cal 28 for a 1ST down.
RDE, Tyson reads run and cuts across the line after Wide, but his modest quicks are weakened further by Utah's unrelenting pace and Wide easily evades him cutting outside.
5. 1st and 10 at CAL 28 Jordan Wynn pass complete to David Reed for 13 yards to the Cal 15 for a 1ST down.
LDE, speed off the snap is really suffering now, shows little fight, breaks free of his blocker when Wynn breaks the pocket to the right, but does not factor.
6. 1st and 10 at CAL 15 Sausan Shakerin rush for no gain to the Cal 15.
RDE, a little better speed off the snap, controls his blocker and cuts in to engulf the runner.
7. 2nd and 10 at CAL 15 Jordan Wynn pass incomplete.
LDE, Good jump! But quits, Wynn does the Alex Smith, dropping nearly twenty yards back and into the left flat. Alu stays home and does not factor.
8. 3rd and 10 at CAL 15 Jordan Wynn pass complete to Kendrick Moeai for 15 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
Tyson starts at LOLB in a 3-3, but drops into a three point creating a 4-2. The rest might have served him, because he's a little better off the snap, if not impressive. Alu attempts a wide move but does not factor as Wynn completes it to Moeai for the go ahead score.
(Cal completes another three and out)
1. 1st and 10 at UTAH 28 Eddie Wide rush for 6 yards to the Utah 34.
2. 2nd and 4 at UTAH 34 Jordan Wynn pass complete to Aiona Key for 7 yards to the Utah 41 for a 1ST down.
3. 1st and 10 at UTAH 41 Eddie Wide rush for no gain to the Utah 41.
4. 2nd and 10 at UTAH 41 Jordan Wynn pass complete to Eddie Wide for 29 yards to the Cal 30 for a 1ST down.
LDE in a 4-2 look. Tyson shows some life off the snap, loops around a stunt and strikes hard into center Zane Taylor. Utah is running a shovel pass that has bad intentions for the stunting Bears, but Tyson could, maybe, stem the bleeding but doesn't. Alualu chases the Utes blockers offensive right, pulling himself out of position and allowing a gaping hole to his right. Wide explodes through and runs for an easy 29. Pro speed takes that to the house.
5. 1st and 10 at CAL 30 Eddie Wide rush for 1 yard to the Cal 29.
RDE, good burst, controls blocker and helps create pile.
6. 2nd and 9 at CAL 29 CALIFORNIA penalty 8 yard pass interference accepted.
LDE in a 3-1 look. Good burst, swims to the outside but does not otherwise factor.
7. 1st and 10 at CAL 21 Jordan Wynn pass complete to Jereme Brooks for 21 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
LDE in a 3-4 look, just ok off the snap, bull rushes but does not factor.
(One more futile Cal drive before the half)