Virginia Tech dominated the Volunteers offense. The running game was besieged by linebackers and linemen running free in the backfield, and Jonathan Crompton could not punish the Hokies aggressiveness by completing a pass. On third and seven on a quick hitter to Denarius Moore, Crompton turned, targeted Moore and then tossed the ball out of bounds. It was not good.
Berry and the Tennessee defense take the field after another three and out.
1. 1st and 10 at VT 31 Tyrod Taylor pass complete to Dyrell Roberts for 14 yards to the VTech 45 for a 1ST down.
Berry is playing deep center. He drops into deep cover before the snap but flies down to hit Roberts just as he catches. Roberts holds on, and Berry does not hit him with punishing force, but it's an impressive showing up speed and reaction to run from the deep middle to just inside the right flat in time to nearly knock the ball loose and force an incomplete.
2. 1st and 10 at VT 45 Ryan Williams rush for 4 yards to the VTech 49.
Berry is covering the left slot. The play is a run right. Berry does not factor.
3. 2nd and 6 at VT 49 Tyrod Taylor pass complete to Marcus Davis for 10 yards to the Tenn 41 for a 1ST down.
Berry is playing outside the left tackle. He bubbles out maintaining cover on the running back, but is able to pursue left towards the receiver. Not before Davis is tackled.
4. 1st and 10 at TENN 41 Ryan Williams rush for a loss of 3 yards to the Tenn 44.
Tech is in a traditional formation, but with a college twist: 2 WR (left), 2 TE (right), RB, but in shotgun. Volunteers are in a traditional 4-3, and Berry is shaded over the outside tight end, 6'4"/267 junior Andre Smith. He backpedals into cover, stops, reads run and is able to extend his arms and throw Smith aside, but not able to force his way into the play before Williams is tackled for a loss.
5. 2nd and 13 at TENN 44 David Wilson rush for 4 yards to the Tenn 40.
Berry rushes up and engages the left slot receiver, but does not otherwise factor.
6. 3rd and 9 at TENN 40 Timeout VIRGINIA TECH, clock 02:11.
Interesting play that never gets started: Berry starts over left slot, sees something, adjusts coverage, and then sprints into the box and blitzes. Play is stopped because of a Tech timeout.
7. 3rd and 9 at TENN 40 Tyrod Taylor rush for 3 yards to the Tenn 37.
Berry covers the tight end. Taylor scrambles up the middle but is stopped well short.