The Seahawks have signed former Central Washington WR Justin Helwege and released T Andrew Mitchell. Helwege is a 6'6, 216 pound receiver that caught 51 passes for 717 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior at CWU, and in his career he had 1,522 yards on 99 receptions. He's a possession receiver type of guy (or maybe move tight end) with good hands, according to scouting reports. Helwege got a tryout a couple of weeks back at the Seahawks Rookie Mini-Camp, and apparently impressed enough to grab himself another chance. With Lavasier Tuinei and Jermaine Kearse still unable to practice until UW and OU finish up classes, Helwege has a better shot of getting some reps in OTAs during this week and next. As for Mitchell - well, we barely knew ye. The former Bengal was signed a week or two ago, but now moves off the roster to make room.
As long as we're talking about Seahawks' offensive lineman, OT/OG Allen Barbre has been suspended by the NFL for four games for violating rules banning performance enhancing substance. Barbre, 6'4, 300 is a former fourth round draft pick by the Packers that the Seahawks, I've seen, like a lot as depth on the offensive line. He could also play a role on special teams because of his athleticism - he ran something like a 4.8 coming out of college, not that this really matters when protecting the quarterback, but it does make a difference in run blocking, and more importantly, getting downfield to make tackles in special teams. Either way - not sure if this will affect his standing with the team, - he's allowed to participate in offseason programs and the preseason, but must sit for the first four regular season games.
The Seahawks wrapped up a three day OTA this afternoon, and some of the beat writers there shared a few interesting tidbits, check them out after the jump.
- John Boyle: "Granted it's May, but this three-way QB competition is more than Pete Carroll hyperbole. All three splitting reps evenly in this week's OTAs." Liz Mathews added, "Carroll also said that all three QBs - Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson - are each taking one third of the reps."
- More Boyle: "Among those not on the field for #Seahawks OTA was WR Golden Tate. Carroll said he hurt his hand Wed. and is in a cast, no other details." Also, Chris Clemons was not in attendance, with Mathews noting "When asked about Chris Clemons' absence, Coach Carroll said "he's not here." Wasn't at the voluntary workout last week, either."
- From Curtis Crabtree: "DE Bruce Irvin was not at practice as he left to attend the funeral for former West Virginia coach Bill Stewart."
- More Mathews: "OT James Carpenter ran for the first time today sine his knee injury last season." Davis Hsu also noted that Carroll said a return date for Carpenter is, "somewhere in the middle of the season, I would imagine." Curtis Crabtree also noted that "Carroll expects WR Kris Durham to be able to return to practice next week. T Russell Okung, and S Winston Guy are coming along as well." Okung and Durham were on the IR last year. Hsu also passed along that Carroll said that Mike Williams cannot yet change direction sharply, and is still recovering from his bad leg injury.
- Crabtree: "Carroll said they know there are health issues with TE Kellen Winslow's knee to work through, but are really happy with his addition."