clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Seahawks sign OT Andrew McDonald

New, comments
Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

The Seahawks have signed Panthers' practice squad tackle Andrew McDonald, according to a tweet from his agent. McDonald is a 6'6, 310 former UDFA out of Indiana back in 2012, and has spent time with the Dolphins and Panthers. The 26-year old was diagnosed with testicular cancer in May and had surgery to remove the mass; he was back on the field by training camp. "It's out and right now I should be all good," he said at the time, noting the doctors believe they caught it early. He'll get scanned regularly to make sure it did not spread to other parts of his body. "It was obviously surprising news," McDonald said. "They scheduled surgery for the next day, so it kind of hits you all at once. But I just made up my mind not to get down or let it affect me and stay positive. It has worked out, so thank God for that."

McDonald is also Player A from the Dolphins/Richie Incognito bullying scandal. He released a statement through his agent and did not want to get caught up in the situation.

"While Andrew can't speak for other players involved in the report," the statement said, "he personally has had no problem with the Miami Dolphins organization and has the highest opinion of (offensive line) coach (Jim) Turner both personally and professionally and feels terrible about the way their relationship has been portrayed in the report."

The Seahawks now have nine offensive linemen on their active roster again after playing last week with only eight. Lemuel Jeanpierre was placed on the injured reserve and Phil Bates was signed in his place. Bates was released on Saturday, and now McDonald takes his place. The Seahawks may look to make a move this week at cornerback as well, as they're facing injuries to Tharold Simon (four weeks) and Jeremy Lane (undetermined length of time).