On Day One of Training Camp, we learned a few things. Like that Jimmy Graham and Thomas Rawls would start on PUP and that Russell Wilson liked what he saw from second-year receiver Deshon Foxx. Also, Michael Bennett was there but I don’t think that should have come as a surprise to anyone. He’ll continue to show up and probably not receive a contract extension until later this year, at earliest.
As camp continues to move forward, we’ll probably want to monitor the offensive line situation, as Bradley Sowell was with the first team at left tackle on Saturday as Garry Gilliam is being eased into team drills following a knee injury. Gilliam participated more on Sunday with the first team at left tackle, as expected.
Other news from Sunday so far:
- Jeremy Lane was working with the first team at outside CB after DeShawn Shead was there on day one, but Shead apparently made a great play on Sunday also.
- Eric Pinkins was with the first team at SAM after Mike Morgan was there on Saturday.
- Cooper Helfet is M.I.A., still waiting to hear why. But the team signed a tight end on Sunday to replace Tyler Slavin, which could be a bad sign for Helfet’s prospects. The tight end is UDFA Clayton Echard out of Missouri.
- Tye Smith was also working on the outside a lot, per Stephen Cohen.
- Alex Collins has been working on kick returns. If he emerges as an option for kick returns, don’t think for a second that Pete Carroll won’t remove Tyler Lockett from that job because of how important Lockett is to the offense.
- It sounds like Brandon Browner is working with the second-team defense as a safety and having a lot of success there.
FWIW I've only seen second-year CB Tye Smith line up outside at #SeahawksCamp.— Stephen Cohen (@scohenPI) July 31, 2016
Guy I wouldn't dismiss earning role is TE Brandon Williams. Thick guy, different body type than others at position. pic.twitter.com/T58RNZH5Wh— Stephen Cohen (@scohenPI) July 31, 2016
Seahawks training camp, Day 2. pic.twitter.com/gYgNbl0Gsj— Sheil Kapadia (@SheilKapadia) July 31, 2016
One guy I don't see out here is TE Cooper Helfet, which is a bit ominous given the Echard signing. #SeahawksCamp— Stephen Cohen (@scohenPI) July 31, 2016
Pinkins getting first rep at SLB in first team drill.— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) July 31, 2016
Garry Gilliam appears to be doing more today. Takes first reps with first unit at left tackle.— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) July 31, 2016
Frank Clark lining up at DE but roaming all over field during plays. Pete Carroll said yday #Seahawks didn't use him enough last year.— Gregg Bell (@gbellseattle) July 31, 2016
Place your comments below if you’re at training camp, or not at training camp, and here anything of interest to you. Or tweet at us at @FieldGulls!