Seattle Seahawks second-round draft pick Malik McDowell has published a statement on his Twitter account, hours after the team confirmed that the former Michigan State defensive lineman did not report to training camp due to injuries sustained in a “vehicular accident” earlier this month.
July 30, 2017
In case the tweet isn’t working for you, the whole statement is as follows:
“I appreciate all the concern regarding my health. I just want to clear the air. I am doing well and expect to rejoin my teammates in Seattle in the next few days. My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated. I am grateful for the support I have received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future.”
The Seattle Times confirmed that McDowell “was injured while riding his ATV in his native Michigan,” and a previous report from NFL Network’s Mike Garofalo said that McDowell suffered a concussion, as well as unspecified facial injuries.
When answering media questions on Sunday, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said he didn’t know yet whether the accident would jeopardize McDowell’s entire season. At a minimum, McDowell remains in Michigan and has been placed on the reserve/did not report list, which means he doesn’t count against the 90-man roster.
Seattle has since signed Rodney Coe, a UDFA out of Akron who was with Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville last season, but never made it to any of those teams’ active rosters. Coe was signed to a futures contract in January, was released in May, and now he’s back with the Seahawks.