With the Seattle Seahawks offseason workout program starting this week and All Pro free safety Earl Thomas not in attendance, the rumors regarding a potential trade have been rampant this week. Thomas had previously stated that he intended to hold out in 2018 if he did not have a new contract prior to training camp. Well, that plan appears to have changed according to reports.
Seahawks GM John Schneider says at his charity event tonight he has been told by Earl Thomas' reps that Thomas will not hold out this year even if he does not have a new contract.— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) April 20, 2018
John Schneider may or may not have been working on a trade of Thomas for months, and Thomas may or may not be a member of the Seahawks when training camp rolls around in July, however, this is a very good sign.
In addition, this report comes on top of Pete Carroll stating this afternoon during a radio interview with Sportsradio 950 KJR that he expects Thomas to be a member of the team for the 2018 season and that they are counting on him.
"He's a Seahawk. I don't know what everybody's talking about." --Pete Carroll on Earl Thomas, on @SportsRadioKJR— Gregg Bell (@gbellseattle) April 19, 2018
Said "heck, yeah" he expects Thomas at training camp. #Seahawks https://t.co/noRxJujZYv
Maybe this is the team setting the table for further trade talks, or perhaps it’s something else, but for now both sides seem to be on the same page. That would put Earl in Seahawks camp and on the field for the team in 2018, and that would be great news not just for both Thomas and the Team, but fans as well.