The Seattle Seahawks have given superstar linebacker Bobby Wagner the contract extension he’s desired and deserved. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport broke the news on Friday afternoon, reporting a 3-year, $54 million deal for the self-represented Wagner. The team made it official shortly thereafter.
Source: The #Seahawks and LB Bobby Wagner have agreed to terms on a 3-year, $54M extension. Locked in.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 27, 2019
At $18 million, Wagner usurps C.J. Mosley of the New York Jets for highest APY among all NFL inside linebackers. As if that wasn’t enough, about 74% of that $54 million is guaranteed.
On his massive 3-year, $54M deal, #Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner gets $40.2M in guarantees, source said. The market gets re-set in a big way.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 27, 2019
“I’m really excited to have this done, excited that I get to be a Seahawk for a long, long time,” Wagner said. “Like I’ve always said, I want to play my entire career here, and I feel like today is a step toward that.”
“It feels amazing being here. I’ve watched people stay, I’ve watched people go, and to have the trust from the organization to continue to let me lead this team, lead the defense, it’s a great feeling. I’m excited to get back to work.”
The 29-year-old Wagner is one of the best defensive players in the NFL and undeniably Seattle’s best defender. He is a five-time Pro Bowl selection, four-time First-Team All-Pro choice, and has been a valuable member of Pete Carroll’s scheme from the moment he stepped onto the field as a rookie in 2012.
While Wagner wasn’t officially a holdout by reporting to Seahawks training camp earlier this week, he’s held out from actual practicing. There’s no word yet on when he will participate in team activities now that he’s got his new contract.
Everybody, it’s time to celebrate!