The 2020 NFL Draft, conducted exclusively through virtual means, went off without any noticeable hitches. In a rare move, the Seattle Seahawks did not trade down from their original spot, instead staying put at 27th overall.
Like you, I was stunned to see “THE PICK IS IN...” on the television. I thought I was being punked.
Then the Seahawks took a player universally projected for Day 2... now THAT is something we’re well accustomed to seeing under John Schneider and Pete Carroll.
Texas Tech inside linebacker Jordyn Brooks was a surprise choice even by our own standards of being surprised by Seahawks early draft picks. The 2019 Second-Team All-American and 2019 First-Team All-Big XII selection has been praised for his instincts, tackling skills, and his ability to stop the run. His main weakness? Pass coverage. Not exactly something you want to hear, but let’s not declare failure of him as a player just yet. With that said, this is a particularly odd selection by the Seahawks when they had much more pressing needs. If Brooks is “the next Bobby Wagner,” one can only wonder what that means for current Bobby Wagner.
Meanwhile, the San Francisco 49ers traded down and traded up in the opening round. John Lynch moved down one spot and took Javon Kinlaw at 14, then traded up from 31st to 25th and got dangerous Arizona State wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk. By trading up, the 49ers don’t have another pick until the fifth round. As for the Arizona Cardinals, they took do-it-all Clemson defensive star Isaiah Simmons at 8th overall. The Los Angeles Rams did not have a first-round pick.
The draft resumes on Friday at 7 PM ET/4 PM PT on ESPN, ESPN2, and NFL Network.
Round 1 results
- Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
- Washington - Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State
- Detroit Lions - Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State
- New York Giants - Andrew Thomas, OL, Georgia
- Miami Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
- Los Angeles Chargers - Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
- Carolina Panthers - Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
- Arizona Cardinals - Isaiah Simmons, OLB, Clemson
- Jacksonville Jaguars - CJ Henderson, CB, Florida
- Cleveland Browns - Jedrick Wills Jr, OL, Alabama
- New York Jets - Mekhi Becton, OL, Louisville
- Las Vegas Raiders - Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa
- San Francisco 49ers - Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
- Denver Broncos - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
- Atlanta Falcons - A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson
- Dallas Cowboys - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
- Miami Dolphins - Austin Jackson, OL, USC
- Las Vegas Raiders - Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State
- Jacksonville Jaguars - K’Lavon Chiasson, LB, LSU
- Philadelphia Eagles - Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
- Minnesota Vikings (from Buffalo Bills) - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
- Los Angeles Chargers - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
- New Orleans Saints - Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan
- San Francisco 49ers - Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State
- Green Bay Packers - Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
- Seattle Seahawks - Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech
- Baltimore Ravens - Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
- Tennessee Titans - Isaiah Wilson, OL, Georgia
- Miami Dolphins - Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn
- Minnesota Vikings - Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
- Kansas City Chiefs (beat the 49ers in the Super Bowl) - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU
Seahawks Remaining Draft Picks
Round 2: 59th overall
Round 2: 64th overall
Round 3: 101st overall
Round 4: 133rd overall
Round 4: 144th overall
Round 6: 214th overall