It appeared Quinton Dunbar’s time on the Seahawks would come to an end just a couple of weeks ago, following a report of witnesses having been bribed in the cover-up of an alleged armed robbery. Now, Dunbar could be headed to Seattle to begin training camp with his teammates.
According to David Ovalle of the Miami Herald, Dunbar has been given permission to travel in order to attend Seahawks training camp. This has been expected since the start of July, when Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker, also involved in Dunbar’s case, received similar permission to travel to New York.
While it had been expected that Dunbar would receive permission to travel, the cornerback’s status with Seattle was unclear. Just a couple of weeks ago, a Giants source told the New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard he didn’t expect Baker to remain on the roster much longer. For now, Dunbar’s place appears more secure with the cornerback’s defense lawyer Andrew Rier saying he was told by John Schneider that Dunbar “Would be welcome in camp.”
Though Dunbar may still be in the Seahawks’ plans, the matter could be taken out of the team’s hands. As Daniel Wallach, a legal analyst for The Athletic, pointed out, Dunbar could be placed on the commissioner's exempt list.
Quinton Dunbar could soon be headed to the Commissioner’s Exempt List. He was charged with a crime of violence (i.e., using a weapon to threaten another person) and the personal conduct policy allows use of paid leave while NFL conducts an investigation. ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/Yihhtgkgdl— Daniel Wallach (@WALLACHLEGAL) July 21, 2020
Despite twists and turns, as of now, Dunbar should be expected to be in Seattle and with the team whenever training camp opens. As the last few months have taught us, however, that could change at any moment.