Welcome to SB Nation Reacts, a survey of fans across the NFL. Each week, we send out questions to the most plugged-in Seattle Seahawks fans and fans across the country. Sign up here to join Reacts.
It’s Super Bowl week, although it feels different this year because in the interest of public health it’s best not to hold any parties right now (you’re not going to host a big party with your friends this weekend, right? RIGHT?! Okay maybe in New Zealand you probably can). Still, that doesn’t mean the best parts of the event won’t have a big role.
The best parts, of course, are the food, the beer, and gambling!
We’re not doing any Seahawks stuff for SB Nation Reacts this week. According to the most recent survey, there is a clear favorite food on Super Bowl Sunday. More than a third of fans said their favorite Super Bowl food is chicken wings. That’s followed by 18 percent that picked pizza, 12 percent that picked chips and dip and 11 percent that want Nachos.
By the way, BBQ Wings or Buffalo Wings? I prefer BBQ but not too saucy. There’s a local joint near where I live that sells smoked and fried wings that are absolutely fantastic and well seasoned. Damn. Maybe I should go order some. Or I can just make nachos since I’m more of a nachos guy anyway.
Along with any good food spread comes the extra juice from gambling on the game. When asked their favorite betting games around the Super Bowl, nearly 50 percent said they prefer squares (which I’ve never played but please keep in mind I’m incredibly lame). In a distant second was moneyline and spread bets with 22 percent and 16 percent who bet on Super Bowl props. 12 percent of fans said they either make different kinds of bets, or don’t gamble on the game at all. Not even on weird things like the Gatorade color or the length of the national anthem. And speaking of Gatorade...
Within the category of prop bets are almost more extremely specific bets than can be fully appreciated. But there are always a few that are the most popular.
The Reacts survey listed these outcomes as most likely, according to fans:
- 58 percent believe Patrick Mahomes will win Super Bowl LV MVP
- 46 percent (a plurality) believe a Chiefs touchdown will be the first score of the game
- 51 percent believe the Buccaneers will be the last team to score
- 60 percent believe the Buccaneers will record the first sack of the game
- 55 percent believe the coin toss will result in heads being flipped
- 51 percent believe the jersey number of the first player to score a touchdown will be greater than 24.5
- 59 percent believe a call will be overturned by a coaches’ challenge
- 36 percent (a plurality) believe the gatorade color dumped on the winning coach will be orange
Most importantly, fans have also picked the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl and become the first team to repeat since the 2003-04 Patriots. On the year, Reacts picks have proven worthy. Reacts picks are 168-80 on the season, a record that tops the SB Nation experts. The fans know their stuff!
To vote in the Reacts surveys and have your voice heard each week, sign up here.