In a press conference intended to cover the impending NFL Draft Wednesday afternoon, Pete Carroll and John Schneider touched on a number key events of the Seahawks’ offseason so far. Although the two insisted that the process of team-building was never truly complete, they were both clearly satisfied with the free-agent acquisitions they have made so far in 2021.
Pete Carroll compliments the job John Schneider and staff have done in free agency, notes they're "not going into the draft with great needs."— John Boyle (@johnpboyle) April 28, 2021
The acquisition who has most recently made headlines is DE Aldon Smith, who was charged with second-degree battery in the New Orleans area last week. Schneider said the team did its research on Smith and his time with the Cowboys last season, and ultimately decided to give him a chance based on that research. Smith has also been involved in DUI and domestic violence cases in the past, and Schneider said that the team carefully uncovered information about these incidents as well.
John Schneider years ago said that Seattle would never acquire a guy accused of hitting a woman. Schneider now says he shouldn't have made such a definitive, blanket statement; each situation deserves to be analyzed individually.— Dugar, Michael-Shawn (@MikeDugar) April 28, 2021
One potential free-agent signing that Seahawks fans may still be hoping for is LB K.J. Wright. Carroll said he had a productive sit-down with Wright recently.
John Schneider said he thought K.J. Wright would be signed by now. Maybe hints that Seattle has a shot to get him back. Pete Carroll sat down with Wright just last week.— Joe Fann (@Joe_Fann) April 28, 2021
No surprise, sounds like the #Seahawks haven't been willing to offer what Wright is looking for.
Carroll also hinted that the Seahawks could be bringing back Wright and/or other key veterans in the coming days and weeks.
Pete Carroll, listing all the #Seahawks' veteran signings, then adds without elaboration, there's "other stuff coming up you'll see the next couple days, too."— Gregg Bell (@gbellseattle) April 28, 2021
For the next few days, the Seahawks front office will also be focusing on the draft, where they have an unusually small number of selections. The two joked about where they would be during Thursday night’s first round, and said that they were extremely happy with Jamal Adams being their “first-round pick.”
Pete Carroll says "our number one pick is Jamal Adams.''— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) April 28, 2021
While the Seahawks are almost certain to trade for more selections in the draft, the fact that they were willing to give up so many picks in trades certainly merits some discussion. Schneider said giving up so much draft capital was no accident.
Schneider says that the realization that the COVID-19 pandemic would make it very difficult to evaluate prospects for this draft played a role in the #Seahawks' decisions to trade away some picks. He applauds the work of his scouting department during this challenging period.— Wilson Conn (@wilson_conn) April 28, 2021
And finally, the biggest story of the offseason for Seattle was the Russell Wilson trade saga. Schneider addressed the rumors head-on.
Schneider says that #Seahawks "never actively negotiated" with other teams with respect to a Russell Wilson trade, although a few called.— Wilson Conn (@wilson_conn) April 28, 2021
Confirms what we all seemingly knew. The Bears saga was a bit overdone by the media.
For now, the team seems committed to Russell’s long-term future with the franchise, and Carroll dispelled any rumors of discord within the locker room or between Wilson and the staff throughout the press conference.
Carroll says Wilson "never made a statement'' about wanting more input in team decisions. But notes they have always kept him in the loop.— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) April 28, 2021